Thursday 15 July 2010

594 miles

The weather forecast was the worst you could ask for, we had both taken the day off to get in the miles. I had the bike booked in for the service for the next day and had to do at least 300 miles.

I hung back until 4PM but in the end I decided it was to risky to take Eileen as well as the fact it would have been miserable for her. So I set off on my own.

The first stop, LochearnHead the weather had been heavy at stages but was light at this stop. Next stop Tyndrum and the famous Green Welly.

I arrived at the Green Welly and decided I would top the Fuel up, later calculations showed 49mpg, amazing. I now knew I had enough fuel for the rest of the run.

There was quite a lot of bikers that had obviously traveled from abroad. They were on a mixture of KTM style bikes. Poor sods were getting a very wet picture of Scotland.

I had a Hot Chocolate and an Empire Biscuit, I put another pair of shocks on, but i was pretty dry.

The next stop was Glencoe, time was also pressing on and i still had a couple of hundred miles to do. I had a decision to make after Glencoe, would I continue onto Inverness and then swing back down the A9. I decided I would see how things were once I stopped.


Lochearnhead
forgot to set date on camera this was the 14/07/2010












Glencoe
The weather had completely turned around at this stage, I had a fantastic ride up to Glencoe.

I passed this chap on the way up on his BMW, we had a quick chat, a pleasant lad on his way to Sky.

The car park is a bit dodgy for such a heavy bike but the stop was worth it for the photos.

An amazing place, steeped in history, wild and yet so still. I never tire of Scotland, I feel very lucky to live so close to such wonderment.

















Fort Augustus
Up to now the weather had been great since Tyndrum, meet a couple of young lads from Yorkshire. They were having a great time and loving the Scottish roads.

They looked like they were well weather beaten, but they were young and just starting out on there biking adventures. I could not but envy their future Journies.

I can't think of a time when I won't be able to ride but getting older you start to think about making the most of it.

I had made a decision and turned around and headed back down to Glencoe, you can never ride through it to often.

I only got a few miles down the road when the rain was to start. From this point on it got steadily worse to the point of being torrential.

I was tempted to stop at Tyndrum and have another drink but time was running short and so I carried on

Then next decision was to be made at the Killin junction, if I headed back via the way i came then I would struggle to get the mileage in. However the Killin route is a great road, but it was getting dark and the rain was drilling into the ground.

This makes what is normally a great biking road into a real mixture of hazards, on the positive side I knew the road well but I also what lay ahead and pretty difficult conditions.

Fort Augustus Fishing



Killin
I stopped as I wanted to capture the moment, was this madness. Anyone who knows this route will appreciate that in this weather and light that this was not going to be easy.

I was almost tempted to turn back and take the easy way back but being the stubborn type I pressed on.

Speeds varied from 30 to 60 mph

So darkness, solid rain, mad rabbits and the dreaded flooding. I aqua plained through countless flooded sections that I could not see.

I just had to relax and let the bike do the work, its moments like this that something special occurs between man and his machine(Honest), under my breath I could feel myself complementing my new found friend and making a promise that if she could get me through this unscathed then I would promote her to head bike.

Falls Of Dochart
Loads of water and much much more to come.

The next stop is Kenmore, Darkness now in full swing as was the rain.

I passed through Kenmore, a beautiful village, the last time I saw it in heavy rain was in daylight and during a classic vintage bike run. Following a friend on a 1920's New Hudson with an average speed of 24mph. We were on a cruiser and got truly drenched.

Next stop Aberfeldy, it was a tiring and difficult run but the bike was making it bearable, solid, precise and quite endearing.

I say stop but I just continued straight through and headed for Gilmerton. This was a tough road but luckily a car passed me at a T junction and I could tell he knew the road well at the rate he went passed.

So I set about hanging onto his tail lights. What he gained in the corners I made up on the straights. I kept a distance but it was a great help in seeing the road lay out further ahead. He lost me eventually, the weather was worsening and I felt safer backing off. However I was only a few miles from Gilmerton.

At the Gilmerton Junction, I decided I needed a break from the B roads and decided to take the slightly longer route to Perth, from there I could pick up the motorway.

This was now a doddle after the last 40 miles. I stopped at Perth and pulled over to the side of the road, I called home to let Eileen know that I only had 30 miles of motorway before I was home. This was 11pm and I knew Eileen would be worried.

11.30 pulled into my local petrol station and filled the tank, later calculations showed 52mpg. Astounding, this included some very fast riding through Glencoe. A full tank range of over 330 miles and 270'ish to reserve.

I was soaked, I need better gear, winter purchases will be required. Good waterproofs, boots and gloves.

I came home and rinsed the bike down before putting it into the garage. That had Eileen laughing.

The next day I was up early to take the bike for its 1st service and to get my Sat Nav fitted along with a few other cosmetic parts.

Coming home I treated the bike to a Jet wash and then brought her home to wash down properly.

Rolled the bike into the garage, satisfied with the last few days and my choice of new bike.






The Bike: Here it is sitting proud, elements not phasing it.

Lets just get on with, it's saying,
come on I am waiting, climb onboard, you'll be safe with me.

Has my brain got soaked too, its talking to me now.

The bike was brilliant, I enjoyed every wet moment on it. At no point did I feel fed up or stressed.

I was never very keen on getting a Pan but I think I have stumbled upon something truly special.

There is nothing to dislike about the bike, I can only heap praise on how it took me through this rough Scottish short adventure.

It handled brilliant, I never felt the weather, only my gear let me down. The power is more than ample, overtakes easy. Almost 300 miles and the seat never let me down.

The electric screen was a god send and I soon learned that the best adjustment was just below eye level. That way I could crouch slightly to get a break from the elements. I also raised it up fully on long straight stretches. Lastly the creamy smooth power, the massive fuel range and the astounding MPG.

Bloody brilliant.

1 comment:

  1. I agree about the bike's bad weather ability. It makes you feel cocooned from the elements as it's solid and planted, and seems to deal with standing water and other hazards by ignoring them.

    The weather protection is excellent too. Most times, even in heavy rain, it was only the toes of my boots that got wet. It even kept my hands dry, although the mirrors are a long way ahead of the bars. Only once did I get wet, and that was riding in jeans and a leather jacket through a biblical storm, where all you could see were the car roofs above the spray. After two hours I gave in and put on waterproofs, by which time my jacket was getting a little damp.

    Great bikes.

    ReplyDelete